One of the best quick meals for me when I’ve had a long day at work and don’t really feel like cooking is a great fish sandwich.
Fish is extremely adaptable to a variety of cooking styles and there is a fish for every palate. A lot of my meals feature seafood and fish of some kind so I’m sure as I post more you will agree with the versatility of our finned friends.
My favorite kind of fish sandwich has to be catfish, see to the left, but I have the following recipe on speed dial since it cooks up quickly, is fairly healthy and magically delicious. You can use any fish you like to eat in a sandwich that takes well to blackening (including catfish, whiting, trout, etc).
Blackened Tilapia Sandwich w/ Avocado & Sriracha Garlic Mayo
4 tilapia fillets (fresh is always better but previously frozen is fine)
1 Avocado (sliced)
1 tsp lemon juice or 1 lemon
1 tsp Sriracha
1/2 tsp Fresh Garlic (minced or crushed)
2 tsp Mayo
1 tbsp Vegetable oil
1. Make sure your tilapia fillets are fairly dry and liberally dust them on both sides with your blackening seasoning and allow to sit for up to 30 mins
2. Coat the bottom of a heavy skillet or frying pan with your vegetable oil and bring to just about smoking over high heat
3. Place the fillets in the pan, and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until fish is opaque and can be flaked with a fork
4. IGNORE the urge to constantly move the fish and DO NOT freak out because fish looks burned… that was the point
5. While your fish is cooking you can prepare your sriracha-garlic mayo by mixing together the mayo, garlic, and sriracha in a separate bowl. Feel free to play with the measurements if you want more spice or more garlic and add other herbs if you like.
6. Smear your mayo mixture onto your bread (a french baguette is great for this but your regular sandwich bread will work fine) Place your tilapia on top along with the slices of avocado and a squeeze of lemon juice and salt & pepper to taste.
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Directions: Mix together thoroughly and store in airtight container